When we talk to people about thisCourse, they often wonder how it’s different than what they currently use to teach their class. I’d like to outline some of the advantages of thisCourse, and then discuss how it’s specifically different than what you may use now.
- thisCourse is designed to be so fast and easy that you can have a course website constructed in less than 10 minutes (really!).
- Building a site using thisCourse instantly provides you with a rich set of features. You can upload documents, manage student discussions, and easily add announcements.
- You are completely in control of your class website. There’s no need to get IT staff involved to add an instructor or to build an entirely new class site.
- Your site is easy to navigate. Most of the crucial information is on a single page (like a syllabus) including links to readings, lecture notes, etc.
- Students love thisCourse since it allows them to subscribe to the schedule on their smartphone, and keep track of announcements via email or RSS.
- If you choose to password protect your site, only your students will be able to access it. However, if you choose to leave it public, you have an easy to remember URL that you can give to anyone who is interested in your class, including friends and colleagues. They won’t need an account with the university to view it.
But what if I…
use Blackboard, Moodle, or a service provided by my university? For some professors, these services will be fine choices. Many others, though, are frustrated by how time consuming it is to construct a simple, reusable course website using these programs. We encourage you to give thisCourse a try for a simpler, faster alternative which lets you stay in control.
build my own course site using HTML? You are highly technically competent and clearly know what you want in a course website. HTML is flexible and lets you stay in complete control, but can be very time consuming. Did you know that thisCourse lets you use HTML tags directly? In any of the syllabus editing boxes, you can click the “HTML” button and edit the source to customize the look and feel of your website. This is just one example of how thisCourse provides both simplicity and flexibility.
We’re excited to have you as a user of thisCourse! Please let us know how we can help.